restoration

Stella update: new steering wheel

I had been looking for a long time for a new steering wheel, but never found one with the right diameter and the right looks. So I decided (again) to build one from scratch. A stainless steel bar bent around a wooden mould and spotwelded makes the frame. The rods supporting the handles were turned on the lathe and metric screw-thread was cut. The wooden handles I made on the woodturning lathe from some meranti leftovers. Pleased with the result!

new steering wheel for Stella new steering wheel for Stella new steering wheel for Stella

Ommelander update: building up the interior

1. All new frames in place and painted 2. Test: reinforcing the split mahogany plank with oak timbers instead of a fiberglass solution 3. Replaced corroded metal bulkhead 4. New floor timbers and stainless steel rods

Ommelander - All new frames in place and painted Ommelander - Test: reinforcing the split mahogany plank with oak timbers instead of a fiberglass solution Ommelander - Replaced corroded metal bulkhead Ommelander - New floor timbers and stainless steel rods

Carolus Quinto

The Carolus Quinto is a bantry bay boat. It participated in several Atlantic Challenge competitions. It's now in our workshop for major repairs, including 25 new frames, some new planks, diagonal reinforcement and a lot of refastening.

Carolus Quinto at Whaleboat Carolus Quinto at Whaleboat Carolus Quinto at Whaleboat

Ommelander update: 20 replaced frames

Steam bent oak, copper riveted.

Ommelander DSC03891comp

Arrival of a new project: the Ommelander

The Ommelander was built in 1939, with a teak hull, deck and transom, and oak frames and keel. She has an overall length of 8,10 meter, is 2,30 meter wide, and with a displacement of 4,6 tonnes she's one hell of a project. Expect to see frequent updates!

Ommelander - Whaleboat restoration project Ommelander - Whaleboat restoration project Ommelander - Whaleboat restoration project

Starting up the orignal Perkins marine engine of the Stella

After 12 years of storage (outside, under a tarpaulin) we managed to bring the old Perkins back to life. For the first attempt 4 batteries 12V were used, but.. no luck.

So we brought in the mighty Mitsubishi Galant, half the engine's age (20 years) and tried again. We're getting closer..

Friend and ultra-mechanic Emmanuel Dekeyser brings in some engineering magic, and there we go! Champagne! Edelweiss, edelweiss..

The engine runs smoothly, and only a small leakage in the exhaust/manifold appeared......

Syndicate content